Monday, May 1, 2017

Steven Spielberg: My Favorites Ranked


Few filmmakers have a resume of movies like Steven Spielberg, with the track record of financial and critical success that he's enjoyed, as well as the literal army of fans and followers who practically worship his cinematic imagination. Few people wield the power he has in Hollywood, yet still maintain what seems to be such a down-to-Earth, humble and good-hearted nature as Spielberg. So, given my penchant for cult films and works of obscurity and extreme subjects, you may ask yourself why I'm writing about an artist better known for mainstream and family-friendly fair. Well, I say... don't let the facade fool you. Not only did I grow up watching his films, wide-eyed and slack-jawed in awe, but as I grew up both emotionally and intellectually, I began to discover that Spielberg has a surprisingly dark current running just beneath the good ole days Amblin persona. Perhaps this, even subconsciously, is a factor in why I'm so drawn to his films. Perhaps, it's simply nothing more than an appreciation for his talent and dedication to his craft. Or, perhaps, it's because he's helped me to retain my connection to that inexhaustible source of creative manna that dwells within my inner child's imagination. Whatever the reason, I cannot escape his influence and seek not to try. Below, I have listed and ranked my 13 favorite films directed by Steven Spielberg... 

13. A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE (2001)
12. THE ADVENTURES OF TIN TIN (2011)
11. MINORITY REPORT (2002)
10. HOOK (1991)
09. CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND (1977)
08. DUEL (1971)
07. INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM (1984)
06. SAVING PRIVATE RYAN (1998)
05. E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL (1982)
04. INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE (1989)
03. JURASSIC PARK (1993)
02. RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (1981)
01. JAWS (1975)

Confession Time: It is true... as of the writing of this post, I have yet to see SCHINDLER'S LIST. I know, as I live and breath, being a self-proclaimed movie junkie and admitting to this grave error is not good for my image, but in all honesty, I just haven't made the time to sit down and watch, in one setting, uninterrupted, this 195-minute depressing masterpiece. I have nothing but desire to see the film, but it just hasn't happened yet. It is a sin I do plan to atone for soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment